Alliance Youth Works
This is the new home of AYW. The Castle is a plantation bawn built in 1611 by Sir Richard Wingfield 1st Viscount Powerscourt. It is an irregular four-sided bawn with the main gated entrance in the north wall. There are two large rectangular flanking towers at the north-east and north-west corners and a smaller round tower at the south-east corner.
It is built on a limestone cliff overlooking the River Blackwater, the border between County Tyrone and County Armagh. Our offices are in the Victorian cottage which built into the south- western wall of the bawn. The castle is in excellent condition having been recently restored by the NIEA (who maintain the walls and flankers as a State Care Historic Monument).
View a gallery of images from around the Castle